Vivaldi's folio

Is full of twiddles and ornaments. And is now to be found in London.

Name:
Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Monday, December 04, 2006

You asked, I found

Haydn's mistress was one Luigia Polzelli, a singer 18 years his junior and for whom Haydn simplified a number of (already minor) vocal roles. Mrs Polzelli (married to the violinist Antonio) was apparently no great singer. Presumably her lack of voice was supplemented by good looks, though so far I have unearthed no images of her. Reader, please post a link if you find one!

'A number of documented letters show that Luigia Polzelli was Haydn's mistress and stayed at [the palace of] Eszterhaza [where Haydn lived until he went to London, where he was received, by all accounts, as a celebrity bigger than Madonna*] until the death of Prince Nikolaus I in 1790.'** - www.haydnfestival.at

I haven't yet found mention of where Haydn's wife was throughout all this. I have found a note saying that she and old F.J. didn't get on, but there's *rather* more info about Polzelli.

*Hennie of Hollyveld.co.za will NOT like to hear this.
**And just look at my insertions. Disgraceful!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proof! We demand proof!

And anyway, even back in the 1790's they obviously knew who Madonna was, which makes her the famousestest, really.

7:12 AM  
Blogger vivaldifan said...

Speaking of celebrities, you are a lucky, lucky man. And *not* just because you know me. See, I have trawled through the archives to find something to tickle your funny bone. For an awfully bad pun, you simply *must* read Part 4 of this: http://www.glitterforbrains.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_glitterforbrains_archive.html

Mr Binding, I seem to be referring to you a lot. I send apologies, I suppose. Or possibly a bill.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home