Vivaldi's folio

Is full of twiddles and ornaments. And is now to be found in London.

Name:
Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So much music in the world

How is a boy (or rather, his bank balance) to cope?

1. Now, we all know about Musicnotes for pop sheet music - and even the occasional piece of baroque music that's useful for weddings*. But there's not a lot of classical sheet music available for singers there. And it's not that cheap, either. Publishers: there is a fortune of fantastic early music out there that singers would love. Get cracking. And while you're at it, please invent a modern method of binding that will allow books to stay open while you perform. The Victorians managed splendidly, so there's really no excuse.

Behold a truly fab site. Obscure Scarlatti arias? Available. Even Pergolesi arias besides 'Se tu m'ami'***, which surprised - and thrilled - even me, who is enough of a music history geek to know what's widely available and what's not. Want Schubert's 'Standchen' but can't really sing that high? No problem - you can transpose it. Now, unlike other sites where you can move up or down by an easy-to-transpose interval, Schubertline allows you transpose into whatever key you like. Whatever key you like! Sorry, that really is a very pleasing feature. Is also far cheaper to download scores from Schubertline.

Perhaps I need a disclaimer since this is starting to look like free advertising: I have no affiliation with this seemingly undiscovered site, I just wanted to share the information.

2. What am I supposed to do when I see there are more recordings of Vivaldi opera arias by Rinaldo Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano? It's only money. And look how gorgeous they make the package look!

3. Um. Likewise, I cannot ignore CDs of the luscious flautist Emmanuel Pahud playing passionate Schubert serenades. Look, it's only money. I'll make more.

The trouble with purposely having formed what I considered a comprehensive music library is that there is just so much gorgeous material out there, and more and better new recordings with more historically accurate performance (and sexy young artists). It's a never-ending project.


*Pachelbel's canon in D is available in arrangements for practically any instrument. Everybody seems to like listening to it, though since I'm not a very good flautist** I can't say I enjoy playing it.
**I never practise, and never seem to get any better at it. Curious! But until I see scientific evidence that there is an irrefutable link between 'practice' and 'perfect', I refuse to change my lazy ways.
***Yes, yes, I know it's a forgery and only attributed to Pergolesi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home