Vivaldi's folio

Is full of twiddles and ornaments. And is now to be found in London.

Name:
Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm back...

...and this time I've brought my soapbox.

Now, to make sure I don't get fired for blogging about work things, let's just say I was at A Very Important Function last night at which A Prominent Local Comedian segued bizarrely from talking about A Certain Politician (whose name begins with a 'Z' and ends in 'uma') to making jokes about gay men really secretly fancying going to prison for all the arse-banditry that goes on there. 'It's not a punishment, it's a pleasure,' he said, thrusting out his bottom and using his queenliest voice.

Look, I know that it's funny to speak in a gay voice when you are Dave Eggers writing your Short Short Stories*. And sure, if you're a comedian, every population group should be a target. But such comedy resonates on there being a bit of undeniable truth in the fun-poking, no? Which I assume is the mechanism that makes a lot of people find this funny. I don't think every gay man actually fantasises about being buggered by a constant stream of inmates.

But the 600-strong audience roared with laughter. I thought the world was over making fag jokes, I really did.

You have to wonder what the musicians for the evening (the light classical duo Syrinx, obviously being flute/pan pipes and piano**) must have felt like, having to play for us all after that, being a pair of (incredibly handsome) Gentlemen Who Know The Words To Showtunes***. Annoyed, I bet. I was.

Oh, whatevah. At least a fellow fag flautist got a very well-paying gig.

*In which you'll find 'This Flight Attendant (Gary, Is It?) Is On Fire', and, look! - you can read it here. It's short, I promise.
**And you thought I couldn't possibly tie this topic in with music.
***Apologies to Lee Binding.

1 Comments:

Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

It good to have you back. And yes, while a lot of humour does rely on saying things you're not supposed to say... that's just not funny. And very offensive. I'm amazed people are still doing that sort of thing.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home