Vivaldi's folio

Is full of twiddles and ornaments. And is now to be found in London.

Name:
Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Moody-tainment

I have long believed that certain music brings out certain moods. But we here twiddlers must be scientific, no?

For your entertainment I therefore present to you a random fact - and the occasional rumour, and doubtless, gross error - about a composer whose work I chose for my drive to work and the general state (lack of, I hear you say) of my sanity. When we've done a few patterns will surely emerge and it will begin to look Most Scientific.

So: Vivaldi bassoon concertos. Bassoons are sexy - well, in Baroque music they are - more than holding their own against the strings. Try the first movement of the A minor concerto (er, catalogue number fails me here) - energetic flurries of notes, and a lovely oily texture.

Resulting mood: happy, in an excited, anything-is-possible sort of way. Doubtless the patrons of the Pietà found it exciting too, which is why the young women of said orphanage, for which Vivaldi wrote so many concertos, played in a gallery behind a screen. To preserve their modesty, it was said; piffle, say I - it was doubtless to keep the indubitably male audience from over-excitement. Baroque babes playing Vivaldi? That's most exciting.

In terms of objectification thinly disguised as music appreciation and masquerading as gender equality, I say what the world now needs is a male version of Bond: a trio of studly mid-20s string players in leather pants and kick-ass boots. No?

1 Comments:

Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

Hang on, I've seen something very much like that male Bond. Well, it was a duo, and I don't think they were wearing leather - more like tight black t-shirts and jeans I think - but in any case, they were very cute, and very gay (obviously), and played quite delightful violins-over-funky-beats type crossover stuff. You know, like Emma Shaplin, only not. I knew immediately you'd love them, but completely failed to remember their name for more than five minutes.

"lovely oily texture" - what an unexpected and delightful description.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home