Vivaldi's folio

Is full of twiddles and ornaments. And is now to be found in London.

Name:
Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

La Messe De Notre Dame

I am gobsmacked.

It really can't be.

And yet it seems it is.

Tonight, you see, I am going to buy Guillame de Machaut's Notre Dame Mass, which holds an important place in music history for being the first known mass in which all the movements are (a) polyphonic and (b) contain the same thematic material, so it's one mass instead of several movements.

Enough with the music history lecture already - the point is, I don't own this piece of music yet. And although I find it quite weird (it's so early it doesn't sound very much like western music at all) it is nevertheless interesting. And I've found a cheap and nice copy of it, so: yay! But the *real* thing to note is that suddenly, my music library is Complete. There's actually nothing else I know of that exists in a recording I can actually purchase that I covet at the moment.

Don't expect it to stay that way for long, I mean, I am the person who has no real furniture of his own but a vast collection of pretty, interesting and exciting tunes. Thanks to my many Lovely Friends who gave me generous amounts of Musica vouchers for my birthday, I now own all the things I probably wouldn't have splurged on if I was paying for them myself - and am at a loss as to what to buy next.

Oh. Now that I think of it, I don't have Fuer Elise. But I don't feel I must own it.

There's lots of opera I'd like to experience, but since it should be all about the Whole Experience (set, costumes, sex appeal of singers, oh - and the singing) I'd rather go watch operas in London (Universe, listen up) than buy recordings of them.

So, It Is Done. Complete. All 7000-plus works. Man, I love iTunes.

Edit: It took two days, but my state of completion has come undone. I have discovered obscure avant-garde Scandinavian chamber music. Must have!

Look, you didn't *really* think I was going to stop my lifelong accumulation of tjoonz, did you?

2 Comments:

Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

I'm only (a little) susprised at how very *quickly* you realised your ongoing lack.

2:06 AM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

PS I'm going to make a point, once you're in London, of only giving you Habitat vouchers rather than music. A boy should have furniture also.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home